What is conflict resolution?
Firstly, what is conflict resolution? Conflict can be defined as a disagreement between individuals, peers, or groups of people or a clash between ideas, principles, etc
Views of conflict
- Traditional views
- Human relations views
- Interactionist views
1. Traditional views of conflict: The traditional leaders believe that conflict is bad, harmful, and should be avoided at all costs.
2. Human relations view of conflict: Advocates for acceptance of conflict believes that conflict is inevitable and not evil.
3. Interactionist view of conflict: The interactionist encourages conflicts and said that it brings viability, creativity, innovation, etc.
READ MORE: WHAT IS FRANCHISE
Types of conflict
We have 5 types of conflict resolution;
1. Functional conflict: This type of conflict supports the goals of an organization
2. Dysfunctional conflict: This type of conflict hinders a group’s performance.
3. Process conflict: This is conflict over how the work should be done.
4. Relationship conflict: This type of conflict is located in personality relationships.
5. Overt conflict: Overt conflict is a type of conflict that is not hidden but open. While covert conflict is hidden and is difficult to notice.
Causes of conflict
1. Poor or ineffective communication: If the process through which information or message gets to workers in an organization is deficient, conflict is likely to occur.
2. Disagreement: Individuals with different goals, opinions, ideas, goals, priorities, and interests can cause disagreement in any organization over policy issues or objectives.
3. Limited resources
4. Self or personal interest: When individual interest is different from that of the group, disagreement or conflict may come up.
5. Leadership tussle: This often occurs in a laissez-afire leadership where everyone wants to be a leader of the group.
6. Attitudinal or perceptual difference: Display of different attitudes, values, or perceptions of individuals to issues can cause conflict.
7. Organizational conflict: Poor, lacking, or not properly designated organization structure can cause conflict.
READ MORE: WHAT IS THE RULE OF LAW
Consequences or effects of conflict
1. Goal setting: It helps in goals that can be achieved within a possible time.
2. Machinery for dialogue: Conflict help to keep in place machinery for dialogue and mediation as conflict is inevitable.
3. Expansion of resources: Financial materials and Human Resources are expanded.
4. It makes for creativity: Conflict brings viability and creativity in an organized group.
5. It brings innovativeness: Conflict introduces change. It brings about new ideas and innovation.
1. Tolerance: Parties in conflict should be told of the inevitability of conflict and the requirements for tolerance.
2. Resolution committee: To avoid conflict in an organization a conflict resolution committee should be constituted.
3. Dialogue: This is very important in conflict resolution, it serves as a platform for parties to discuss and agree on policy issues.
4. Teamwork and cooperation: Working together as a team quenches conflict and makes the organization achieve its objectives.
5. Empowerment: Discord parties should be empowered publicly.
READ MORE: WHAT IS A BILL AND TYPES OF BILL
© 2021, SUBJECTBAG. All rights reserved.