Qualities of a good news story
This section will explain the qualities of a good news story and what it takes to write a good news story.
These are the criteria a news story must meet before it is considered a good news story. The qualities of a news story are;
- Accuracy: A news story can be regarded as accurate if all names, ages, addresses, and direct quotations in the report are correct. Inaccuracy of new stories may lead to libel and may make you lose your job. So you must ensure your news story is always accurate.
- Currency: Yesterday’s news is no longer news. It is ‘stale news.’ One of the qualities of a good news story is current information. A reporter must always present something new that just happened and not what is outdated.
- Clarity: The news story should always be written in clear, simple, and easily comprehensible language. A reporter should always use simple English and avoid ambiguous words in his news story. Also, the use of punctuation and good grammar will make the reader understand the story.
- Objectivity: One of the essential qualities of a good news story is to make the story’s objective known to the reader. This means that as a reporter, you must not editorialize or inject your opinion into a news story.
- Balance/fairness: This means the ability to write a news story without showing any form of evidence of bias and partiality. These criteria need to be considered as a new writer; whenever you write a news story, do not judge anybody or oppose.
- Attribution: This is all about making references about the source through which you get the information of the news story. Attribution helps place a quote in a proper frame of reference and also validate the claims of the reporter.
- Complete: According to “mencher (2010), complete stories are written by a reporter who anticipates and answers the question their readers, viewers, and listeners will ask.”
- Brevity: A new story must always be brief, clear, and simple, and its aim must be to attract the attention of both the editors and the reader. Most readers are in such a hurry to read an entire story in a newspaper. Therefore, it is advisable to always present news concisely to maintain the reader’s interest. This method requires the inverted pyramid.
YOU CAN READ MORE TOPICS
Did we really add value kindly comment below and share what you learn with others.
© 2021, SUBJECTBAG. All rights reserved.